Thursday, March 10, 2011

CD Review: Orla Fallon's 'My Land'


My Land

With the approach of St. Patrick's Day, all things tend to point to the luck of the Irish and everything green. However, Ireland's Orla Fallon should be a part of your Irish celebration this year, as she releases a new album, My Land, in close conjunction with a 50-city tour and PBS program in most markets. Orla still plays the harp and sings on the new album, but she is joined by a larger gospel group on "Down To The River To Pray" and special guests on two live tracks with The Dubliners on "Spanish Lady" and "I'll Tell Me Ma" with Damien Dempsey. Two songs with slightly different renditions, "Distant Shore" and "My Land," are also included on her 2009 release, Distant Shore. Still, Orla's voice is as sweet and pleasant as ever on "Mo Ghile Mear," "Ni Na La," and "Both Sides Now." A mix of English and Irish lyrics provide a sense normalcy amidst a sea of diasporic displacement from the Irish land. Followers of Celtic Woman will clamor to pick up My Land. Green is the new gold! ~ Matthew Forss

No comments: